[Sca-cooks] Last minute: things to do with sausage

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Mar 6 17:34:17 PST 2013

After some searching I came across this recipe from OldCook. http://www.oldcook.com/en/cooking-recipes_medieval
Sausages with apples, cinnamon and nutmeg

from Saulcisses en potage, Lancelot de Casteau,
Ouverture de cuisine, 1585.

Ingredients (1 tsp = 1 teaspoon)
4 smoked sausages (about 700g)
1,1 kg of tart apples
340g onions
40g butter
3 tablespoons of sugar (30 g maxi)
200g of red wine
3/4tsp cinnamon
1/2tsp nutmeg
pinch of salt.

Recipe (cuisson = 3/4 h)
Brown the sausages with butter (reserve), brown the onions which have been cut into rings (reserve), and brown the apples which have been cut into pieces.

Add the sausages, apples, and onions in a pot with wine, sugar, salt, and spices. Cover and cook for 30 min.

This is an excerpt from Ouverture de Cuisine
(France, 1604 - Daniel Myers, trans.)
The original source can be found at MedievalCookery.com

Sausages in Pottage. Take sausages, & fry them in butter, then take four or five peeled apples & cut into small quarters, & four or five onions cut into rings, & fry them in butter, & put all of them into a pot with the sausages, & put therein nutmeg, cinnamon, with red or white wine, sugar, & let them then all stew.

Johnnae