[Sca-cooks] Pig cheese: the final oink

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Thu Mar 21 23:06:19 PDT 2013

Rather than try to reason why one or the other of the two tales I cited is
probably true or not, I decided to take the direct approach and write those
in  question.

>From Paolo at Life in Italy:
"I just added to the end of the article the April 1st is porcorino day in
Italy - Do you think that will be clear enough for the reader ?
_http://www.lifeinitaly.com/food/raresttuscancheese.asp_
(http://www.lifeinitaly.com/food/raresttuscancheese.asp)
"

On the other hand, Edward Lee, mentioned in the Slate article, is certainly
 a real person; he was on "Top Chef" and runs what is apparently a highly
respected restaurant in Louisville:

_http://610magnolia.com/610-magnolia/_
(http://610magnolia.com/610-magnolia/)

He  assures me he has indeed done this experiment and says that pig cheese
is  actually pretty good; he also hints that there is more to come....

The one thing we can be fairly sure of is that no one in our period was
milking a pig, much less making cheese with the result. Though, a little
earlier, I wouldn't discount some decadent Roman who could have cared less  how
many times his slaves got kicked or bitten by an irate sow.

Jim  Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

Newly translated from Pierre Jean-Baptiste  Le Grand d'Aussy:
Eggs, Cheese and Butter in Old Regime  France