[Sca-cooks] Asafetida leaves and terebinth berries

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Wed May 29 16:17:41 PDT 2013

>I was looking for asafetida, and discovered that what I could buy
>easily was "extended" with flour, usually wheat, sometimes rice or
>both.  so I didn't get it as I had some from someone else and was
>trying to go gluten free for someone (thought I'd look for one with
>rice flour only if possible)
>
>Then found some at a re-enactors market, at the price she was
>asking, I asked her what it was extended/mixed with and she said it
>was pure... (at the price I was fairly sure it couldn't be) I
>mentioned to her I had been researching it on line, but she didn't
>seem too interested.
>
>Anyone recommend a brand or source?
>
>Arianwen ferch Arthur

A google search for "pure asafoetida" shows many companies selling
the pure stuff at various prices.

http://www.hingking.com/pure.htm
This site has quite about about asafetida and the various types and
was quite interesting to read.  Doesn't mention any prices, I guess
you have to write them.

If you want asafoetida leaves, you might be able to grow your own:

https://www.horizonherbs.com/product.asp?specific=328

Ranvaig