[Sca-cooks] C.A. translation and organization questions

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Sat Nov 2 17:56:04 PDT 2013

It occurs to me that something else wasn't asked might but might be
relevant: words for which no sure translation exists.

My own feeling is that a translator should share their own understanding of
 a text with those who might not read the language in question. This
implies that  when the translator simply doesn't know what a word means, the
translation  should reflect that.

In Anthimus, in particular, there are several words which have been
discussed at length by scholars but never assigned any definite meaning. My own
approach was to leave those in Latin and explain the various views on them in
 the notes (yes, there should be notes). Others, as I recall, have
translated  them as if their meaning was known.

Notes of course are particularly important when several variants exist. For
 Anthimus, these can radically change the meaning. Some texts also include
entire  phrases which are absent in others; Rose put these in boldface in
his  transcription and I did the same in translation, with appropriate
explanations  in the notes.

Jim  Chevallier
 (http://www.chezjim.com/) www.chezjim.com

Les Leftovers: sort of a food history  blog
leslefts.blogspot.com

In a message dated 11/2/2013 4:12:02 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,