[Sca-cooks] Drinking scabwort/elecampane

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Tue Nov 5 20:28:22 PST 2013

It doesn't surprise me that medieval drinkers might sometimes have drunk
scabwort (elecampane); at various times, I'm sure they drank infusions of all
 sorts of things. And Pliny said this one made people "merry". What's more
surprising is that in the dietetic I posted a few days ago, Leonard warns
against drinking it (and only it) right after warning against drinking beer
- suggesting that it was a fairly common drink.

Anyone ever come across people drinking this?

Jim  Chevallier
 (http://www.chezjim.com/) www.chezjim.com

Les Leftovers: sort of a food history  blog
leslefts.blogspot.com