[Sca-cooks] anchovies

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Nov 6 19:10:27 PST 2013

Try "anchovy."  Ansjovis refers to Engraulis encrasicolus, the European
anchovy, or more broadly any small similar looking fish.

Bear

> And what is "ansjovis"?
>
> Stefan
=========

Ah! I've seen some medieval recipes asking for fresh anchovies.  The only way I've seen them around here has been in cans, usually packed in oil.  I don't think these are cooked, but probably not close to what the medieval recipe had in mind.

So would other small, fresh (or frozen?) fish be a good substitute? what about herring?, as Ana mentions?

Thanks,
  Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com