[Sca-cooks] Local Feast Disappointment

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Nov 7 08:18:59 PST 2013

On 11/7/13 7:42 AM, Daniel Myers wrote:
> I've faced the same thing continuously for the past decade.  In spite of
> having a surprising number of cooks in my area who are interested in
> medieval cuisine and are more than willing to teach, a large number of
> local feasts are blatantly modern.
I think there's a significant difference between potatoes and "remove."
We can't, as a practical matter, make everything at an event
historically correct--the people who are coming closest (the "perfectly
period feast" group in the West) are producing one feast every three
years, and they are still using modern tables to serve the feasts on.
Different people make different choices about what features of
historical authenticity matter to them. To take one particularly
striking example, almost all of our feasts charge for the meal. The
medieval feasts they purport to be modeled for don't. Most of our indoor
feasts use electricity and flush toilets. So while I'm in favor of
getting people to cook feasts from period recipes, I have to accept the
fact that other people in the Society have other priorities.

The case of "remove" is entirely different. That isn't a modern
convenience, it's a modern error. The only excuse I can see for
deliberately using it is the view that the SCA isn't a historical
organization, it's  a self-referential subculture loosely inspired by
history--the view I like to refer to as "of course it's period--we've
been doing it for years." That's an entirely different argument than the
point about practical constraints.

To put it differently, I don't want to get all feasts in the SCA to be
perfectly period, since that would mean no or almost no feasts. I do
want to get all of them to not refer to courses as removes.

--
David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com