[Sca-cooks] Local Feast Disappointment

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Nov 8 21:29:26 PST 2013

<<< I would hate to pay for feast and find it's not period food as that is the entire point of the feast ...it's the entire point of everything in the SCA...If we loose that, what are we?
Anne >>>

Ummm. It may be the entire point of the feast *to* you.  Apparently not to everyone.  And for me, while it is usually what I want at a local event, at something like Pennsic or Gulf Wars (neither of which I can currently attend :-( ), Many of the meals are just to keep me going. I'm not looking for a "medieval experience" then. Just something quick until I get to my next classes or merchant row or classes or a meeting etc.

Of course, perhaps the difference is between a "meal at an event" and a "feast at an event".  However, be cautious of blanket statements and be aware that the SCA is different things to different people.

As to paying for a non-period feast, that is one reason I encourage the posting of feast menus ahead of time. The other is to solve the problem of having to produce special dishes for folks with allergies by posting the ingredient lists. I happen to think both should be done.

ingred-lists-msg (18K) 4/ 6/07 Posting ingredient lists at SCA feasts.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/ingred-lists-msg.html

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com