[Sca-cooks] Why a feastocrat might get picked over other headcooks

Glenn Adrian gadrian at clear.net.nz
Mon Nov 11 19:51:19 PST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: sca-cooks-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org
[mailto:sca-cooks-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of Antonia di
Benedetto Calvo
Sent: Tuesday, 12 November 2013 4:30 p.m.
To: Cooks within the SCA
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Why a feastocrat might get picked over other
headcooks

On 12/11/2013 4:25 p.m., Stefan li Rous wrote:

> How do other groups select who will be cooking the feast and the menu?

The event steward asks someone to cook.  This is repeated until someone says
'yes'.

The steward may make some modest requests of the cook (such as "I'd really
like to have something Elizabethan" or "can we have white
pies?")-- otherwise, the cook sets the menu.

Antonia

Within a budget negotiated between the two.  With the resulting event
budget, including the cost of the meal, submitted to council for approval.
A basic idea of the meal is often mentioned, but I don't think we have ever
had a menu presented to the council.  We seem to have enough experienced
cooks and stewards that the council knows if a particular type of meal is
feasible on a particular budget without going into details.  This is usually
done well enough in advance that in the event the council asks for any
changes or more info it can be nailed down next month.

Glenn