[Sca-cooks] Courses/Baconic?

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Wed Nov 13 10:27:41 PST 2013

My blog post this week looks at the history of courses through the
medieval period in  France:
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2013/11/a-matter-of-courses.html

One  item I looked at more closely here is perhaps the earliest detailed
account of a  meal from the period (12th century, if one is to trust the
source):

German  original:
_http://books.google.com/books?ei=yJ58Uv-XM8KciQKP3IHoCg&dq=%22basel+im+vier
zehnten+Jahrhunder%22&jtp=15&id=xGtKAAAAYAAJ#v=onepage&q=%22basel%20im%20vie
rzehnten%20Jahrhunder%22&f=false_
(http://books.google.com/books?ei=yJ58Uv-XM8KciQKP3IHoCg&dq="basel+im+vierzehnten+Jahrhunder"&jtp=15&id=xGtKAAAAYAAJ#v
=onepage&q="basel%20im%20vierzehnten%20Jahrhunder"&f=false)

French  transcription:
_http://books.google.com/books?ei=3pl8Uqn6Bab9iQLDpoHoAQ&dq=%22panis+tortus%
22+alsace&jtp=80&id=GTkbAAAAYAAJ#v=onepage&q=%22panis%20tortus%22%20alsace&f
=false_
(http://books.google.com/books?ei=3pl8Uqn6Bab9iQLDpoHoAQ&dq="panis+tortus"+alsace&jtp=80&id=GTkbAAAAYAAJ#v=onepage&q="panis%20tortus"%20alsace&f
=false)

Aside from the fact that this does not remotely follow any classic order,
it also appears to be a unique example of a "baconic" - that is, a meal made
up  of all pork. I've seen later references to this term, but never a use
in the  period itself (including here). So I've been a bit dubious about the
idea at  all.

Has anyone ever encountered a specific example of one elsewhere, with or
without the term itself?

(Oh, and if for whatever reason you don't eat pork, there was a fast-day
version as well; mainly fish :) )

Jim Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

Les Leftovers: sort of a food  history blog
leslefts.blogspot.com