[Sca-cooks] Dutch gray field pea

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Nov 18 18:41:51 PST 2013

Pisum is an Old World genus with several species.  There are no New World
peas.  You are thinking of Phaleolus, the genus of New World beans.

P. sativum, the common pea, has at least two subspecies and many varietals.
Gray peas are a naturally occurring color across a number of varietals and
have been around at least since the Middle Ages.  Most modern cultivars of
gray peas originate in the Low Countries, thus Dutch gray (or grey).  Gray
varietals of field and garden peas are available, but most of those
available are post-period hybrids.

Bear