[Sca-cooks] The lamprey of the Great Lakes

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Tue Nov 26 00:07:19 PST 2013

Nice article.  Rumpolt assumes that carp will
come to the kitchen alive, and often uses carp
blood in recipes for other fish, which apparently
do not.  Lamprey also come to the kitchen alive,
which might imply they are grown in local ponds.
The blood is mixed with vinegar or wine, so it
doesn't coagulate.

A black carp with its blood (in black blood sauce).
Carp made in a black (sauce) in its own blood.  Catch the blood in a vinegar/
A black aspic made of carp/ with the blood.
Pike made in a sauce with a carp blood.
Fried crabs in a carp blood.
Beluga sturgeon made in a black (sauce).  Take carp blood...
You can also make a Schaiden in a pepper (sauce)/ with carp blood/
    (Schaiden is perhaps Schaider = Silurus glanis or Wels catfish).
Sälmling (Young salmon).  You may also make it in
a black (sauce) in the Hungarian way/ with carp
blood and lemon/
Trout made in a black (sauce) with salted lemon.
Take a little vinegar/ and take the blood from a
carp/
Take an eel/ ...Take carp blood
Rutten (Burbot) cooked in the pepper (sauce).  Take carp blood..
Nasen (Common Nase) made in a black sauce with carp blood and lemon/
Perch. Take the roe/ ... make a pepper (sauce) of carp blood nicely sweet
Grundel (Goby).  Take blood from a carp/
Turtle cooked black with carp blood/
Frogs cooked black with carp blood/

Take the lamprey/ and catch the blood from it in vinegar/
Take the lamprey/ and scald it/ and when it is
scalded/ the take a good Malvasier (a sweet
wine)/ and catch the blood in it

Likewise, many of the beef recipes call for
chicken blood.  Presumably they slaughter the
chickens themselves, while the beef comes already
slaughtered.  And the blood must be fresh.

Ranvaig