[Sca-cooks] Medieval thinking

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Wed Nov 27 12:31:00 PST 2013

You mean I assume a highly educated Medieval person who would  have known
the ins and outs of humoral theory - that is, a slim minority of the
population. I doubt even the lords eating this food understood much of what  their
doctors and their cooks worked out for them to eat; they just knew a
peacock looked good on a plate and spices were what people of their class were
supposed to use.

Most people of course ate with utterly no influence from any of this.They
caught/raised, then killed what animals they could get a hold of, maybe
added  some vinegar/verjuice and/or oil to the cooking water or rubbed some
honey or  whatever few spices (probably in a mixture for economy's sake) they
could get  into a roasting animal and were glad to have it. Or just ate their
coarse bread  and peas or beans with some water, milk or beer, and a hunk of
thick bacon if  things were going well.

Even sticking to the first group, trying to think like a Medieval person
requires a whole constellation of other considerations: fasting limitations,
loose hygiene, stronger tolerance for odors, willingness to eat far greater
 quantities at one meal, unquestioning sense of class, comfort with sharing
 bowls, etc. It's quite a complex exercise if one cares to take it on.

Jim  Chevallier
 (http://www.chezjim.com/) www.chezjim.com

Les Leftovers: sort of a food history  blog
leslefts.blogspot.com

In a message dated 11/27/2013 12:15:35 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,