[Sca-cooks] Medieval thinking

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Nov 27 19:36:23 PST 2013

to start, the webpage you indicate as the guide will not display on my iPad, so
I have no idea what animals or plants are being suggested as suitable for dinner.
Nor can I tell in what part of the country these foods would be found.

Are we talking boas or pythons in the Everglades or nutria in swamps or carp
in the Illinois River?

I suspect that one looks at the creature in question, prepares it and then stews it.

As to humoral theory, I go along with Albala's ideas about lip service being paid to the concept
but in reality, not much being put into practice. I think a far more important part of a medieval mindset would be
the study of fast days and feast days and Catholic practices as to food and drink.
Or Islamic practices or Jewish… One's religion would have dictated much about the approach and thoughts to any or about food.

Johnnae