[Sca-cooks] Medieval thinking

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Wed Nov 27 22:35:44 PST 2013

>I suspect that one looks at the creature in
>question, prepares it and then stews it.
>
>As to humoral theory, I go along with Albala's
>ideas about lip service being paid to the concept
>but in reality, not much being put into
>practice. I think a far more important part of a
>medieval mindset would be
>the study of fast days and feast days and
>Catholic practices as to food and drink.
>Or Islamic practices or JewishŠ One's religion
>would have dictated much about the approach and
>thoughts to any or about food.

As a data point, Rumpolt lists over 30 types of
fish by name, and suggests different methods of
cooking for each of them.  Same thing with 30
types of poultry, and various types of domestic
meat and game.   That's late period German, but I
suspect earlier cooks also had  ideas of the
appropriate way to cook various things.

Ranvaig