[Sca-cooks] Medieval thinking

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Nov 28 21:52:31 PST 2013

Phlip lists:
<<<
Autumn-olive or Autumnberry
Prickly Lettuce
Asian Clams
Garlic Mustard Plant
Chinese Mitten Crabs
Burbot
Watercress
Lionfish
Fennel
Himalayan Blackberry

And my response is to say "these are problem plants?". Well of course they are in some areas. I hear rabbits are a problem in Australia.

At least all of these are named as if they are food or close to it. I assume that using recipes for similar plants would be a good start. I thought fennel and watercress were already well used plants?

Stefan's challenge would be: "Come up with a useful, tasty recipe for Kudzu."

That, or even a useful non-food product, using kudzu could make someone some money and rid the south US of an awful plant which is destroying the environment.

As far as medieval thinking goes, perhaps kudzu is closer to tomatoes or vanilla, which both seem have been slow to catch on because they don't come close to anything previously seen by the Europeans.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris