[Sca-cooks] C.A. translation and organization questions

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon Nov 4 08:42:06 PST 2013

>Rather, my questions are about something we've discussed on this
>list from time to time: how faithfully should a translation follow
>the original?
>
>I have previously stated my preference for a closer following, even
>when it may be stilted or a little awkward, because, to me, it
>retains a flavor of times past.
>
>In this case, most of the recipes are written in the passive voice -
>"Fatty sheep meat small is chopped". A long list of ingredients...
>"to the pot are added". As a modern American i have a preference for
>an active voice - "Chop fatty sheep meat small" "Add" ...a long list
>of ingredients... "to the pot". What do people think? Should i leave
>the recipes in the passive voice? Or should i alter all to the
>active voice?

As most of you know, I've spent several years translating the 500
page Ein New Kochbuch by Rumpolt.  I've struggled with the
differences between German word order and English, and usually think
its better to have grammatical English sentences.  You can still keep
flavor of the original.

I try to make minimal changes, but think "let them run through a hair
cloth" is clearer than "let them through a hair cloth run".  Or "and
let simmer until completely done" rather than "and let until
completely done simmer".  YMMV.

Ranvaig