[Sca-cooks] Middle Eastern haggis

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 04:49:43 PST 2013

In Sweden it's called pölsa, its made in a pig stomach, filled with oats or
barley, lungs, liver and ansjovis.
Ana

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 6:09 AM, Volker Bach <carlton_bach at yahoo.de> wrote:

> It's not Middle Eastern, but there is a recipe for stuffed sheep's stomach
> from sixteenth-century Germany.
>

> Take lean veal
> and clean bacon, chop it together small, add small raisins, and break four
> eggs
> into it.  Salt it, season it with pepper
> and various spices, and make it neither too thick nor too thin with the
> eggs.
> Then take it, fill  it into the cleaned
> sheeps' stomachs, each only half full, close them with a wooden skewer at
> the
> top, lay them in boiling water and boil them like sausages until they are
> well
> cooked and all hard. Then take them out of the water and cut them into nice
> slices. Make a fine brown sauce of lebkuchen and wine, season it with
> all spices, and give it a lovely savour. Then place the abovementioned
> slices
> in it, salt it and taste it.
> (Klosterkochbuch
> III.30)
>
> Unfortunately, provenance and transmission are lousy for this one. At some
> point an original manuscript existed, but it was lost in WWII (we think)
> and all we have now is a free transcripütion into modern High German from
> the nineteenth century. I plan to triy it as soon as I can get my hands on
> a sheep's stomach. The filling works nicely in a puddingcloth.
>

> Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> schrieb am 6:35 Dienstag,
> 5.November 2013:
>
> On the Facebook Cooks Group, Urtatim Al-Qurtubiyya said:
> <<< Stuffed sheep's stomach appears in Arabic, Persian, and Ottoman
> language cookbooks, as qiba, gipa, and zerbudil, respectively. Rice is
> often used as the grain filler, there is usually a large quantity of
> chopped onions, and sometimes the sheep's trotters are included… >>>
>
> I have a bunch of haggis recipes, both period and non. Both vegetarian and
> traditional. But all I think all of these have a Scottish origin.
>
> Could you please detail some of these Middle Eastern versions? I'm
> particularly interested in how they vary from the Scottish ones. The rice,
> in particular, appears to be a change. But then rice doesn't grow in
> Scotland and I suspect oats don't grow that well in the Middle East.
>
> Thanks,
>   Stefan
>
> --------
>    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
> StefanliRous at austin.rr.com

http//congresomujeresdenegromontevideo.wordpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/caravia15860606060
http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0

<http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/>

cell Sweden +4670-3213370
cell Uruguay +598-99470758

your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always
long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci