[Sca-cooks] Local Feast Disappointment

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 14:46:54 PST 2013

I've been reading all the comments here and while I agree that I would like
to see more historically accurate food I am more interested in getting
everyone involved.  That being said, at MidWinter this year we are not
having a feast - we are doing an all days "sideboard".  We, the autocrats
chose a theme of Spices Along the Silk Road.  That left most of the known
world open to choose from.  Then we recruited 4 head cooks who have never
cooked a feast before.  Each one has a few hours when they are "head cook"
- it is our attempt to get people excited about cooking without
overwhelming them.  Everyone is picking a place along the silk road and
while they are keeping "period" in the back of their minds they are working
more on portion control and being comfortable in the kitchen.  They're
excited and so are we.  We chose not to do a feast because this is an event
where the Crown will be attending and we never know how late court will run
- this way people can be snacking all day and when court is done we can get
on with the dancing and musical chairs.

I'm hoping those that wished for a more period experience will forgive more
modern food as we work to bring more cooks into the SCA.  One step at a
time.

Shoshanah