[Sca-cooks] Local Feast Disappointment

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Nov 7 19:57:25 PST 2013

I see it  the other way around. It used to be pretty hard, at least if
you didn't have access to a good academic library, to find source
material for period cooking. Now, not only is much of it in print, much
of it is available for free online. It's true that much of what you find
online isn't true--but that was at least equally true of oral tradition
before the Internet, and of a fair amount of popular writing--consider
Fabulous Feasts. The internet makes it easier, if you are interested, to
find multiple versions, hunt up the original of the badly distorted
recipe you found first, find discussions.

One consequence of facebook is that people who are interested can
interact more easily with the experienced period cooks than used to be
the case. I post there. Urtatim posts. Galefridus posts. Other people too.

On 11/7/13 7:33 PM, Johnna Holloway wrote:
> I often wonder about how Facebook will impact the research of various SCA
> activities. If everyone resorts to Facebook for their answers and these answers are brief or incomplete, what will happen
> to the value placed on original research or have those days already passed? Does it matter how much of an educational organization we are if Facebook is good enough and the default research resource?
>
> We've already seen members demand online sources only. Books and articles are too much trouble.
> Suggesting someone buy a book is an undue burden or that they consult something in a library---  well that just means
> that you are saying their research is suspect, Too many A&S activities are all encompassing meaning all research is now an opinion and everyone's opinion is equally valid. We even applaud this because we encourage the effort (numbers of participants, projects, items made, etc) and do not examine the results. (This means that someone can state that 1086 is the date of Hastings and that's perfectly ok. Their research is as valid as someone who holds to the 'old fashioned' view that it was 1066. Dare anyone suggest the former read a book or investigate and well one is told one is being disagreeable, impolite and toxic to the concept that everyone is welcome!  In fact many of these lists forbid disagreements, so one can't even correct the inaccuracies because one is just being disagreeable in pointing out the 'so called' errors. Librarians are not welcome!)
>
> There's also an idea going around that all you need to do a medieval feast or write a medieval cookbook is to just yahoo the word medieval and cooking or name of dish. You don't have to read an actual historical cookbook or look at historical recipes or historical accounts, it's perfectly ok to just enter a couple of words and trust the web.
>
> Will we continue to see authentic or attempts at authentic foods or dishes? Will any make the effort? And if the inauthentic is recognized and praised and rewarded with awards and titles, well
> why bother researching  or serving anything other than modern dishes?
>
> The question might be: Why can't we search for authentic and edible and reward those people who do?
>
> Johnnae

David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com
http://daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/