[Sca-cooks] Local Feast Disappointment

Donna Green donnaegreen at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 8 09:13:02 PST 2013

As has been mentioned, some people just aren't interested in period food. Their loss. If they don't want to change, we'll just serve all the yummy period food to the people who are interested. Some of the people involved in the feast Urtatim mentioned really don't care about food ... period food or not period food, doesn't matter it is just fuel to them ... even though in their particular areas of interest, period does matter. Food is just not an area of interest for them. Some of the people involved in the feast Urtatim mentioned do care about food but really don't yet get that period food is yummy and worth pursuing. Gentle nudges and baby steps, they may get there eventually.

But, in the meantime, go to the feasts that people who, at the very least, are making an effort in the "right" direction. Bring tasty period food to events and meetings, etc. and share it with people. After they tell you how tasty it is, then let them know it is period. See, tasty, not scary :-)

Also, our new Kingdom Chatelaine has started a "public house" ... it is a space for anyone to hang out, socialize, find out about the SCA and feel welcome. He is providing beverages. Perhaps I (and maybe other Westerners into period food) should come up with snacks to go with the beverages. Then we can get newcomers right at the start used to the idea that when you come to the SCA you eat at least somewhat period food, just the same as when you come to the SCA you put on an attempt at historical clothes. It can become part of the basic expectations for them.

Another point ... at the Cooks PlayDate at West An Tir War, we give out tons of samples of period food. The requirement for getting said snacks is to say "Period Food Is Yummy". We have people lined up for the samples ... sometimes the line runs fairly far down the road :-) Because of this, our soon to be Prince (and many other people) often go around telling anyone who will listen that Period Food is Yummy.

While vinegar is useful in the kitchen, this is one of those arguments where honey is a more useful tool. ... reference to the saying about flies, in case you didn't catch that :-)

Juana Isabella
West