[Sca-cooks] Local Feast Disappointment

morgana morgana at gci.net
Fri Nov 8 23:42:20 PST 2013

On Nov 8, 2013, at 9:03 PM, David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com> wrote:

> On 11/8/13 5:08 AM, Mercy Neumark wrote:
>> I attribute the rise in period cooking and brewing to Facebook.
> I think the internet has helped a lot, but it started before Facebook became that important. The web made both sources and worked out recipes a lot more readily available.
>
> --
> David Friedman

I'd second that. We originally had To the Queen's Taste, To the King's Taste and Fabulous Feast as resources, and then we discovered The Miscellany!

So long before the internet, there were good source materials, but you had to really want them. The wealth of period cookbooks just barely translated online are wonderful, but you still have to learn how to use them.

That's where we, the 'elders', come in. I don't cook much myself these days, but I encourage and teach at every opportunity. Our newcomers learn to expect a striving toward proper attire and food.

And sheer, unmitigated enthusiasm for one's subject can go a long way to creating interest.

Morgana in snowy Winter's Gate