[Sca-cooks] Hanukkah and Thanksgiving

Patricia Dunham chimene at ravensgard.org
Mon Nov 11 14:45:03 PST 2013

ALERT -- Sarine & Strudel-Queen!

For any of you with DISH satellite, the Cooking Channel is one of this month's "free preview channels" and I'm 99.99% positive that one of the Thanksgiving shows on there will be.... the SARINE Thanksgiving "Challenge" show! ep. 185, 11-15-09 (I think FoodNetwork may be running these two, also; it's harder to tell)

FoodNetwork did at least 2, possibly 3, of their "Challenge" shows several years ago with a "4 families' Thanksgiving" competition. One of the winners was an Egyptian Jewish family from New Jersey, Sarine de Picciotto and her 2 sons. The presentation was stupendous and most of the food looked pretty darn good too, 8-). Unfortunately, FoodN never put recipes up, so I've had to hunt for what I'm interested in by what I can remember! I've been looking for a repeat for years and I'm pretty sure both Cooking and Foodnetwork are re-running these in the next couple of weeks. THIS time I'm going to tape and KEEP it (duh of me to have dumped it the first time!!!)

I think they may also be showing a previous one I'm not familiar with (ah, this one is "chefs", not families; #98, 11-15-06), and POSSIBLY the one following, in which the winner, VLADA Vladic (supermodel blonde!, Serbian) stretched her strudel dough, herself, in the studio, DURING the competition -- the judges came over and watched, open mouthed!  ep. 213, 11-4-10? http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/b/2010/11/15/old-world-serbian-techniques-win-food-competition.htm

Have fun, I intend to, 8-)
chimene