[Sca-cooks] OOP-French View of English Food

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Mon Nov 18 08:17:36 PST 2013

It's interesting that right off this is an echo of Roman accounts of the
Germanic groups mainly eating meat and dairy products; it might in fact be
considered a descendant of it. Also interesting that the English cared so
much  that their beef be fresh (and that the French apparently were less
demanding).

Otherwise, I've never seen field peas called gray peas  before:
"The Common people feed much upon Grey Pease,"

I also wonder if this is an early reference to British vegetarians  (who
seem to have been the first to be at all organized):

"I was told the English were Fantastick, as to Herbs, and pulse; that one
Trade, or Society of Men, fancied them and Cowcumbers"

(Some French  actually distrusted cucumbers; one doctor's house was said to
have been built  through them.)

Jim Chevallier
www.chezjim.com

Les Leftovers:  sort of a food history blog
leslefts.blogspot.com

In a message dated  11/18/2013 4:29:49 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,