[Sca-cooks] Medieval thinking

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Fri Nov 29 09:18:07 PST 2013

I'm not sure the effect of carp on native species in France was negligible.
 Richard C. Hoffman writes, particularly in regard to that fish:
"Aquaculture  revolutionized local ecologies and human relations with them, forming
and  controlling synthetic habitats for the sake of a non-native animal and to
the  harm of some native varieties."

Richard C. Hoffman, "Carp, Cods, Connections" in Animals in Human
Histories: The Mirror of Nature and Culture, edited by Mary J. Henninger-Voss,  2002

I don't know the details but Hoffman seems to feel it had a significant
effect. And in fact leaves the impression that carp was the first willfully
introduced invasive species (in France; it already existed further East).

Jim  Chevallier
 (http://www.chezjim.com/) www.chezjim.com

Les Leftovers: sort of a food history  blog
leslefts.blogspot.com

In a message dated 11/29/2013 6:21:16 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,