[Sca-cooks] Middle Eastern haggis

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Nov 4 21:35:27 PST 2013

On the Facebook Cooks Group, Urtatim Al-Qurtubiyya said:
<<< Stuffed sheep's stomach appears in Arabic, Persian, and Ottoman language cookbooks, as qiba, gipa, and zerbudil, respectively. Rice is often used as the grain filler, there is usually a large quantity of chopped onions, and sometimes the sheep's trotters are included… >>>

I have a bunch of haggis recipes, both period and non. Both vegetarian and traditional. But all I think all of these have a Scottish origin.

Could you please detail some of these Middle Eastern versions? I'm particularly interested in how they vary from the Scottish ones. The rice, in particular, appears to be a change. But then rice doesn't grow in Scotland and I suspect oats don't grow that well in the Middle East.

Thanks,
  Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com