[Sca-cooks] Peanuts are New World?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Oct 14 13:56:27 PDT 2013

Cariadoc posted on the SCA FB group, where there is some discussion of Old World/New World foods and the demo game:
<<< Peanuts are from the New World. Some early sources thought they were African, but apparently that's because the Portuguese introduced them to West Africa early and they caught on. >>>

I thought myself, from discussion here I thought, that peanuts came from Africa with the black slaves.

Can someone give me a more comprehensive description? Something I can add to the Florilegium?

Since I often have trouble coming up with 10 New World foods for the demo game, maybe I'll add peanuts. :-)

Thanks,
   Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com