[Sca-cooks] couscous was Serving stuff over rice

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Fri Oct 25 10:57:51 PDT 2013

>From this and later references, my impression is that "couscous" was once a
 term much like "porridge" or "gruel", referring to any grain or starch
preparation, with the key difference that it was steamed rather than  boiled.

The later references I cited mainly refer to millet; when I was in
Cameroon, a hunter in the forest gave me cooked manioc which as I recall he also
called 'couscous'. (Hardly bland, though, since they flavor everything there
with hot sauce.)

Jim  Chevallier

Comparing early and late medieval food in France
_http://www.chezjim.com/food/pre-v/comparisons.html

In a message dated 10/25/2013 10:31:46 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,