[Sca-cooks] (OP) Interesting spread of sandwiches

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Oct 30 07:56:54 PDT 2013

Well, the one for Illinois is *mostly* right...a real Italian beef is not
just "roasted beef", the beef is simmered with spices in broth to do it
properly. And then you have cheese fries with it. ;-)

For Michigan, well, their copy is BS-- a real pasty does not contain
cheese and the dough is totally different from a calzone, and the
traditional one contains rutabaga as well as potato.

For Minnesota, there is a...minor disagreement...about who came up with
the Juicy Lucy, one being the 5-8 Club and the other being Matt's Bar,
which is just up the road from the 5-8 Club, which in turn is just up the
road from my house. I am truly spoiled. ;-)

One of the few things I miss from my time in New York is beef on weck, but
it's really a western NY and southern tier thing. I would be surprised if
you could get beef on weck anywhere near NYC.

I would say that the iconic Wisconsin "sandwich" is more a grilled brat
with mustard, sauerkraut optional.

Margaret, who is now also really hungry