[Sca-cooks] OT...sandwiches

Antonia di Benedetto Calvo dama.antonia at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 16:11:57 PDT 2013

On 31/10/2013 8:53 a.m., Mercy Neumark wrote:
> "There are several sandwiches in Annals of the Caliph's Kitchens. I've
> made /wast/ (a stuffed loaf served cut into wedges) at a couple of
> lunches-- it's quite delicious.
>
> Antonia"
>
> Do you have the original source please? I would love to see it. Thank you!

A recipe for wast (filled sandwich) made by Ibn Dihqana
(this is a slight paraphrasing of  Nawal Nasrallah's translation)

Choose a round and thick bread made with fine, bran-free flour. Using a
knife, cut it crosswise in half and set it aside.  Take meat of cooled
sikbaj (beef stew made with vinegar) and shred it.  Finely chop leaf
vegetables.

Cover one piece of bread vegetables followed by a layer of the prepared
meat.  Sprinkle surface with pleasant-tasting salt followed by chopped
cheese, chopped olives, and chopped walnuts, almonds, pistachios and
pine nuts. Add another layer of the chopped vegetables and cover with
the other half of the bread.  Keep the prepared sandwich pressed for
about an hour.  [...]

Cut the filled sandwiches into squares and then into triangles. Arrange
the pieces on a platter and serve them, God willing.

Antonia