[Sca-cooks] Reasons why period cakes aren't modern cakes

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 4 10:24:50 PDT 2013

Bear wrote:
 >Ammonium carbonate and sal ammoniac (AKA hartshorn or salt of
 >hartshorn) were originally derived from red deer (Cervus elaphus) horn
 >by dry distillation.

That's what I found, too, on Wikipedia. However, I wonder if that was
done in period. There was a query on a Twitter account (@tudorcook) that
I follow where someone asked how hartshorn was prepared for use.

Tudor Cook mentioned that "most of the recipes seem to call for boiling
6+ hours or...overnight before letting cool, straining then..." There
also was mention of rasping, perhaps before boiling. The inquirer was
Dr. Annie Gray and I don't know what the results of her experimentation
were. If an actual answer to the experiment is wanted, I could try to
find out."

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming