[Sca-cooks] Hartshorn Re: Reasons why period cakes aren'tmodern cakes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Oct 4 18:41:12 PDT 2013

Are you sure that the recipe is for hartshorn?  The title says "hirsscornn"
which I would translate as "grains of hart" or "grains of deer"  rather than
"hartshorn."  Internally, the recipe uses "(Ge)hurnn" for "antler" or
"horn."  The deer antler in the recipe appears to be being used to produce
gelatine to bind the honey, gingerbread and blood, rather than as a leaven.
And, as written, the recipe won't produce the ammonium carbonate that is a
leaven.  Gwen Cat, Ranavaig, thoughts or comments?

Bear