[Sca-cooks] Quinces

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Oct 8 14:49:48 PDT 2013

A search in EEBO-TCP under quince and drink came up with

from The regiment of life, whereunto is added a treatise of the pestilence, with the boke of children, newly corrected and enlarged by T. Phayre. from 1550

Also ye may make a iuice of quinces and geue it to the chylde to drinke with a litle suger.
------
OED says

quince wine   n.

1600   R. Surflet tr. C. Estienne & J. Liébault Maison Rustique  iii. xlix. 410   Perrie which is pressed out of the peares, and ceruise wine, quince wine, pomegranate wine, mulberrie wine.., which are made of the iuices of these fruits pressed out.

So back to Maison rustique, or The countrey farme¨ English edition from  1616.

CHAP. XLIX.

A briefe discourse of making of drinkes of the iuices of Fruits.

Perrie which is pressed out of the Peares, and ceruise Wine, quince Wine, pomegranat Wine, mulberrie Wine, gooseberrie Wine, and sloe Wine, vvhich are made of the juices of these fruits pres∣sed out.

Then it spends the rest of the chapter on cider, perry, and ceruise drinks.
The next chapter goes into pastes, jellies, cakes and Marmalades.
-----
So yes they did create quince drinks.

Also another modern recipe here

http://saramoulton.com/2013/03/quince-liqueur/