[Sca-cooks] Peanuts are New World?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Oct 15 14:18:23 PDT 2013

Vear answered me with:
<<< This has popped up several times over the years so I'm surprised you don't
have any of the discussions in the Florilegium. >>>

Er, ah, well, it could be buried in there somewhere, but it didn't turn up in a web search. Possibly, I never included them because I wasn't sure how to categorize them. Maybe in the nuts-msg file, but they aren't true nuts. But most people might look there.

I will be adding these message to the fd-New-World-msg file.

<<< Cultivation in South and Central
America appears to have been widespread, so they may have entered the
Columbian exchange early on. >>>

Huh? What is the "Columbian exchange"?

From Johnnae:
<<< Corn chips, potato chips, salsa, bean dip (use new world beans), peppers, peanuts,
chocolate, vanilla, pecans, brazil nuts, cashews, chicle (chewing gum), sunflower seeds, etc. >>>

An interesting idea. I often already use peppers, chocolate, vanilla and pecans in the OW/NW game I do.

I hadn't realized that brazil nuts, cashews and sunflower seeds are New World, though.

Are there any Old World seeds that were roasted and eaten as snack foods like sunflower seeds? i.e.;grass? seeds not tree seeds?

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris