[Sca-cooks] Flandrin: the medieval order of meal

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Mon Oct 21 14:42:16 PDT 2013

Maybe you can give your own summary of his look at medieval dining order?
Mine was based on a quick read.

Probably the main thing for most medieval food recreationists to note is
that the more formal order (soup, roast, etc) that ended up being the norm
for  centuries was reserved (in the Menagier at least) for major events like
weddings. Otherwise, the order seems to have been very fluid. Any trace of
the  old Roman order (which can be faintly detected in early medieval
accounts) seems  to have disappeared.

Jim  Chevallier

Comparing early and late medieval food in France
_http://www.chezjim.com/food/pre-v/comparisons.html

In a message dated 10/21/2013 2:15:33 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,