[Sca-cooks] Serving stuff over rice

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Oct 22 20:48:30 PDT 2013

My standard way of serving various period Islamic dishes is on top of
rice. Urtatim recently suggested to me that that might be wrong,
historically speaking. Checking the obvious sources, I cannot find any
period reference to food being served that way. The closest I can come
is a recipe where you cook rice in milk and then put meat on it and
serve it--but most rice recipes are considerably more elaborate than
that and I didn't find anything along the lines of "and serve it over rice."

Does anyone here have evidence for or against the claim that that was
how it was served?

--
David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com