[Sca-cooks] Baker's borax

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Oct 28 20:09:01 PDT 2013

According to Wei, Zheng, Liu, Cai and Nie, "Discovery of Borax-bearing
Mirabilite Beds in Dong Co, Northern Tibet, and Its Palaeoclimatic
Signifcance," Acta Geologica Sinica, the Tibetan borax derives from five
mirabilite beds.  Mirabilite is a form of hydrous sodium sulfate commonly
associated with a number of other minerals including trona (natron).  Not
much I would want use as leavening.  While some of these compunds will
effervesce, the sulfates tastge pretty lousy and can poison one.

Chambers's Encyclopedia notes that carbonate of soda is found in the natron
lakes of Hungary and Armenia in conjunction with sulphate of soda and
chlorite of sodium.

If you check on the geology of Lake Van (in Armenian control from Antiquity
but now in Turkey), you will find an alkali (sodium salt) lake that produces
sodium carbonate, sodium borate, sodium sulfate, and sodium chloride.  A
source of "Armenian borax" which contains a form of natural chemical leaven.

I would suggest that both borax and natron are being used more generally in
Medieval documents than they are modernly having been assigned greater
scientific precision in the Modern Age.

Bear