[Sca-cooks] (OP) Interesting spread of sandwiches

morgana morgana at gci.net
Wed Oct 30 06:09:51 PDT 2013

On Oct 29, 2013, at 6:57 PM, Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Billed as "50 States, 50 Sandwiches" by the Zagat Staff, it is interesting. I'm not sure if I could have come up with 50 different sandwiches off the top of my head. However, in some cases I think they stretched things to get a unique sandwich for each state. And their research seems lacking in some places, such as the cuban sandwich.
>
> http://www.zagat.com/b/50-states-50-sandwiches?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=desktoptopperformers
>
> Any comments about the sandwich for your state, or where you grew up?

Actually, reindeer does not "play a big part" in Alaska cuisine. Moose, yes. Salmon, halibut, yes. Even buffalo is often available. But reindeer is not. Found in occasional restaurants, usually in sausage, and usually as part of a breakfast. You will find salmon and halibut sandwiches all over the state. Why landlocked Utah gets a halibut sandwich is a mystery to me. I guess I could concede Washington could have a salmon sandwich, although I always associate clams with Washington (but in chowder, or fresh dug and steamed).

And I've never heard of Wheel Good Food's Food Truck Bomblina. Must be in Anchorage somewhere (G). Doesn't even sound like a tasty sandwich, to me.

I used to live in Key West, Florida, for awhile and that's not the Cuban sandwich I remember, made by a Cuban cook at the small restaurant where I worked back in the 60s. The pork is cooked with special spices (which I never knew--it was long before I was interested in cooking), and certainly never had salami in it. It wasn't on the menu, but the locals knew to ask for it. He also served home-made black beans and yellow rice.

That's two for two that I know anything about.

Morgana yr Oerfa
Winter's Gate (Fairbanks)