[Sca-cooks] A food challenge

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Oct 7 22:13:25 PDT 2013

In browsing some web stuff, I came across this article "What It's Like To Eat A $445-Per-Person, 5-Hour Dinner At The French Laundry In Napa Valley".

http://www.businessinsider.com/a-meal-at-the-french-laundry-2013-2#even-more-pictures-to-satiate-your-inner-foodie

Even if I could afford it, which I can't and probably wouldn't, it would likely be wasted on me. Interesting though. And many of the food items are "unusual" foods which we've talked about on this list, although the preparations are newer and I don't understand most of the preparation names.

One of the comments was "What makes the restaurant so great? It's a combination of a stunning location, stellar service, and outstanding food. The chefs create two unique nine-course tasting menus every day, and make sure no ingredients are repeated throughout the meal."

Yes, *no ingredients are repeated throughout the meal*.

We've often talked about no single ingredient should be used in all (or most) dishes on an SCA feast. But not repeating any ingredient, at all?

So, can you come up with a menu of a reasonable period meal (Not necessarily nine courses, I guess) that uses each ingredient only once? Can you do it using only dishes from a single region/culture?

I'm going to assume that this restriction doesn't include spices, although the website doesn't detail this.

Thanks,
  Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com