No subject

Thu Apr 10 15:59:49 PDT 2014

a sponge which, if not a hot-milk sponge, at least contains hot milk.
This may be what you're thinking of. Until I actually make the thing,
though, I'm not sure to what extent I would say this qualifies as a
sponge, because the beaten egg whites get yolks beaten into them almost
immediately, and doing it that way would deflate the whites to a pretty
great extent. So much so, in fact, that additional chemical leavening is
required (As an entire nation of patissiers to the south and across some
water razz those silly Eeengleesh a bit on zee subject of sponges ;  )
) .

I think, though, that we may simply be dealing with a system where if it
ain't a fruitcake, it is, on some level, a sponge, whether it really is
a sponge or not. Alternately, maybe this recipe really does work in the
way that a genoise or even angel-food, both true sponges, work.

> 3 EGG SPONGE
>
>  3 eggs
>  1/2 cup sugar
>  1 cup flour
>  pinch salt
>  1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
>  1 tsp baking soda
>  1 Tbs butter
>  1/2 cup milk
>
>  Heat butter and milk until butter melts.  Beat egg whites until
>  stiff, Add yolks and beat well.  Gradually add the sugar and beat
>  well again.  Fold in the sifted flour and cream of tartar.  Add
>  soda to milk and butter.  Add to mixture and fold in well.  Pour
>  into lined sponge tin and bake 375 deg. F.  (20 mins. 190 degs C
>  in a ring tin.)

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy