No subject

Thu Apr 10 15:59:49 PDT 2014

after cooking all afternoon) - they turned out lovely (steamed in the pastr=
case with the spice mix & bacon wrap to flavour through the flesh) and I'll
be looking to make these again...

Mari

**I haven't got the Medieval Kitchen by Redon here with me at work, but can
post the original (In french I believe) and the full redacted recipe from
home is anyone asks :-)

***************
RABBIT BAKED IN PASTRY=09(Medieval Kitchen p 143)

1 Rabbit whole
300g salt pork **(we used bacon strips instead)
1 pinch of ground cloves
1 tspn ground ginger
1 tspn black pepper
1 tbspn salt
2 dried black beans (decoration, optional)

Pastry
7 cups flour
250g Butter
1 egg
approx 1 =BC cups water
20g kosher salt **(we used ordinary cooking salt)

1.Day before prepare pastry, wrap in plastic and refrigerate
2.Preheat oven to 190C
3.Grind salt pork, [Omit if using bacon strips]
4.Mix the spices and salt and set aside
5.Trim the rabbit and coax it into a crouching position
6.Roll the dough out into a rectangle and lay it on a sheet pan
7.Set the rabbit into a third of the dough (if head attached, set it raised
using bamboo spears) leaving the larger portion of the dough free to fold
over the rabbit
8.Spread the chopped salt pork all over the rabbit and sprinkle generously
with spice-salt mixture
9.Fold the dough over the rabbit, sealing it carefully with water; pressed
closely against the body
10.Make a crease in the dough where the mouth would be, make ears and a tai=
of pastry and fasten to pie with water. Insert two dried black beans into
the dough for eyes
11.Bake for about 90 minutes during which time the rabbit will cook to
perfection. The pie is done when the pie is deep brown.
12.Bring to table whole and cut down the back then carve as you would a
roast rabbit.