No subject

Thu Apr 10 15:59:49 PDT 2014

  (Deer are a big problem in suburbia here in central Texas. One

  suburb was shooting them until a bunch of people made a bunch of

  noise. Now they spend more tax money per deer capturing them and

  shipping them down to Mexico. Where *they* can shoot them.
)

Deer at the Cloisters!  My! My!  What a concept!

Well, today is the first day of deer season here at Glaedenfeld Centre, so
Bambi beware!  We are overwhelmed with the horny critters (they are now in
rut) down here and we are ready to do our share to thin out the excess.
Our efforts to restore the site to a wildlife friendly state has been
almost too successful.  When we bought the site 4 years ago, even the dirt
had no worms or insects in it as the years of chemical farming had poisoned it
pretty well.  With the co-operation of my neighbor, Glaedenfeld Centre is
now in the middle of about 600 acres (about a square mile) of land in process of
revival.  This year in addition to myriad rabbits, quail, doves, huge
flocks of turkeys, raccoons, opossums, hawks, etc.; we have added FOUR
species of owls taking up residence and have even seen EAGLES in a mating flight
overhead.  Neat huh?  At any rate, it looks like I can fill the
freezer with venison without having to step off the back porch, such is the deer
density here at GC.  We have been serving venison at feasts as a MAIN
meat dish this year rather than in secondary "taste" serving
portions.

Hopefully we can stock the larder with over 1000 pounds of haunch and
roasts this year so we can offer the meat to feastcrats of groups holding events
free of charge as long as we have it available.  It is illegal in Tennessee
to sell wild game meat but as long as we give it free, we do not have to worry
about problems with the authorities, nor do we have to worry about
inspections.  It is really nice to be able to provide sufficient venison to
really enhance the verisimilitude of our feast menus.

Akim

--- Diamond Randall

--- ringofkings at mindspring.com

--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.