No subject

Thu Apr 10 15:59:49 PDT 2014

-------------------------------
Mari/a Jose/ Garci/a Soler, El arte de comer en la antigua Grecia.
Madrid:  Biblioteca Nueva, 2001.  Pp. 462.  ISBN 8470309226.

Reviewed by Edmund P. Cueva, Xavier University (cueva at xu.edu)
Word count:  1415 words
-------------------------------

Mari/a Jose/ Garci/a Soler's "El arte de comer en la antigua Grecia" is
a sweeping examination of Greek cooking and gastronomy. The purpose of
this book is to fill any gaps in our knowledge of the ancient Greek
culinary arts in an accurate, encyclopedic fashion using
archaeological, literary, epigraphical and papyrological evidence.
Garci/a Soler (hereafter GS) divides the text into a prologue,
introduction, five chapters, appendix of recipes, bibliography, index
of citations from ancient authors, index of Greek and Latin words, and
  <snip>
An appendix offers thirty-seven recipes, which are quoted directly from
the Greek texts. They range from Archestratus of Gela's roasted shark,
to Nicander of Colophon's pumpkin preserve, to Athenaeus of Naucratis'
rose casserole.

"El arte de comer en la antigua Grecia" is an excellent book
recommended to all interested in this area of Greek culture. The
up-to-date and comprehensive bibliography, extensive and accurate
footnotes and elegant prose style make this a ver fine reference tool.