No subject

Thu Apr 10 15:59:49 PDT 2014

Gentlewomen"

A LEACH OF DIVERS COLOURS IN THE FRENCH FASHION

Lay halfe a pound of Jordane Almonds in colde water,
the next day blanch and beate them in a stone morter,
put in some good Damaske Rose-water into the beating
of them, when they be very fine draw them through a
strainer with a quart of sweete mild from the Cowe,
and set on a chafing dish of Coales, with a piece of
Isinglasse, a piece of whole Mace and Nutmeg
quartered, a Graine of Muske tyed in a piece of lawne,
when it groweth thick, take off the fire, and take out
your whole spices, and let it runne through a strainer
into a broad and deepe dish, and when it is colde, you
may
so slice it and serve it in.  If you will colour any
of it, Saffron is for yellow, greene Wheat for green,
Turnsole is for red, and blew bottles in corne give
their own colour.

Madge Lorwin's redaction:

1/4 pound blanched almonds
6 tbsp rose water
1 tbsp unflavored gelatin
2 cups rich milk or half and half
1 large piece of whole mace
1/2 nutmeg, cut up
2 drops essence of musk
2 tbsp sugar (optional)

Grind the almonds fine and mix with three tbsp of rose
water; soften the gelatin in the remaining rose water.
Put the milk, ground almonds, mace, nutmeg, and musk
into a quart-size saucepan and bring it to just under
a boil.  Lower the heat to simmer, and cook for
fifteen minutes, stirring every five minutes.  Add the
sugar and the softened gelatin and stir until the
mixture just begins to thicken.  Remove from heat and
strain the leach through a fine-mesh sieve or
cheesecloth into a glass cake or pie dish.  Set the
mixture in the refrigerator until the leach sets
firmly.  To serve, cut the leach into small squares or
diamonds and pile them lightly in a chilled serving
dish.

My quick and completely OP version:

One box Asian almond flavored gelatin [5 oz]
8 cups water
One box Jello in color you want [5 oz]
1 piece of whole mace
1/2 piece of whole nutmeg
1 tsp rosewater

Boil almond gelatin according to package instructions,
with mace and nutmeg. Take out mace and nutmeg. Add
Jello and rosewater. Put into jello mold and chill.

I originally planned on making the Lorwin redaction,
but I ran out of time and energy. I also couldn't find
food-grade musk.  While I was trying to decide if I
should try to make the dish or just forget it, this
quick and OP version occured to me and I decided to
try it.

I had ordered a sun shaped copper jello mold, but it
didn't arrive in time [it still hasn't arrived], so I
went with a mold I had that was sort of sun-esque.  I
also originally wanted to put the sun shaped yellow
jello on a layer of purple colored jello, but the
cookie sheet that I planned to use for this got used
for another dish, so I put the jello on a bed of
purple cabbage instead.  Not as I envisioned it, but
that's life.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.