No subject

Thu Apr 10 15:59:49 PDT 2014

or Accomplish'd Gentlewoman's Companion

Note:  the print used in the book was one of the old ones where all the "s'=
s"
look like "f's".  I changed that first thing.

First - use butter instead of lard.
Is sour milk thinner then sour cream?
Start with 2 cups flour.  Add more if needed.
Moderate oven =3D 350 (my mother's old stand-by)

Final redaction:

1 cup brown sugar
=BD cup butter or margarine
1 cup dark molasses
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sour cream
2+ cups flour
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream sugar and butter.  Add molasses.  Dissolve the soda in the sour cream
and add to sugar, butter, molasses mixture.

Sift 2 cups of flour with ginger and cinnamon.  Stir into liquid ingredient=
s.
 Add more flour if dough is not stiff enough.

Spoon out on to greased cookie sheets and bake for 18 minutes or until done=
.

Used brown sugar

Used sour cream

In all, used 4 loosely measured cups flour.

Makes 3 dozen if you are careful and don't make them too big

Margherita the Weaver