No subject

Thu Apr 10 15:59:49 PDT 2014

of days, it seems to spring from a desire to protect
certain products. The question is does the product exist
outside that region or does the name denote a method or
type of product. And if an ethnic group fled from
the homeland and took how they made the product with them
to the new world why can't they also have the name?
It also seems to be a blow against
the mighty US food companies too as they are the ones
that are going to be most bothered. It's going to also
strike certain small producers of things like the speciality cheeses.
If it goes to the WTO, who knows?

The EU went through that Euroterroirs project where foods
were inventoried  and listed. Remember?
(This resulted in those very nice books by
Laura Mason on The Traditional Foods of Britain and
Cathal Cowan and Regina Sexton's work Ireland's Traditional Foods
in 1997 for the GEIE/ Euroterroirs project.)

I find it all rather interesting anyway given our recent
mullings over sandwich names and regional foods.

Here's another website that talks about it--

http://www.euroterroirs.com/en/terroir.htm

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway