No subject

Thu Apr 10 15:59:49 PDT 2014

Condensed information about root beer from the Home Brewers Digest 1991-199=
4

In addition to sugar and Sassafras, Root Beer can also contain several othe=
flavoring ingredients. Below is a list of common flavoring ingredients
compiled from a number of different recipes.

=B7allspice =B7birch bark =B7burdock root =B7coriander seed =B7Dandelion ro=
ot =B7ginger,
tincture of ginger, Ginger Root =B7guaiacum chips =B7hops =B7hot drops =B7J=
uniper
Berries =B7molasses =B7prickly ash bark =B7Sarsaparilla, sarsaparilla root
=B7spicewood =B7spikenard root =B7wild cherry bark =B7wild cherry bitters
=B7Wintergreen, wintergreen bark, oil of wintergreen =B7yellow dock, yellow=
 dock
root

Many of the root beer extracts I've seen commercially available rely heavil=
on wintergreen, which is not something I think would be a good addition to
any gumbo.

Sassafrass root or extract with the safrole removed (that's the supposed
carcinogenic part) tastes different, and I don't care for it either.  I get
my file' when I go back home for a visit.

Rhiannon Cathaoir-mor