[Sca-cooks] More notes to Ivan Day Lecture-LONG

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Apr 7 12:12:15 PDT 2014

Some more notes to supplement Ranvaig's and Countess Alys's notes.

If anyone would like to read more about this Pan-European theme or international elements of court cuisine, it can be explored in All Manners of Food: Eating and Taste in England and France from the Middle Ages to the Present [Stephen Mennell].The book was reissued by the University of Illinois Press in paperback.

The Stuart cookery playing cards come from

Of Carving, Cards & Cookery or the Mode of Carving at the Table as Represented in a Pack of Playing Cards Originally Designed & Sold By Joseph & James Moxon, London 1676-7.

Hagger in facsimile is a bit tricky to purchase. There is an abbreviated version that does not include the all important illustrated plates. You don't want that one.

The Jane Bridgeman volume
A Renaissance Wedding: The Celebration at Pesaro for the Marriage of Costanzo Sforza & Camilla Marzano d Aragona (26 30 May 1475) (Studies in Medieval and Early Renaissance Art History) [Hardcover] is on Amazon.

Thanks for the accounts

Johnnae