[Sca-cooks] Welserin #177

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Apr 25 14:13:16 PDT 2014

Helena,

I looked at the original German to check which
word was used for the cheese (kesß or Käß). I
hope you don't mind my pointing out that I
noticed a translation issue with this recipe.

http://www.staff.uni-giessen.de/gloning/tx/sawe.htm

  Teig or Taig can mean either batter or dough.
The sentence that is translated as "Then prepare
the dough (taig) as for a flat cake (fladen)" The
word "fladen" also appears in recipe 160. I think
it is telling you to add a batter or custard
(ormilch), like that recipe but with a little fat
added.  So the filling is not just apples and
cheese, but apples and cheese in custard.

You might want to look at 135 which says "Let it
cook together like egg-milk (ormilch)", so it may
mean a cooked custard not just a mix of milk and
egg.

Ranvaig

<<135>> Ain ortorten
Nim 20 or vnnd soúil milch als die air vnnd klopfs woll
vnnderainander, lasß vnnderainander sieden wie ain ormilch,
rier dan zúcker darúnder, mach ain bedellin, streichs
glat, daraúff thú ain rossenwasser daran vnnd thús jn die
tortenpfanen, thú glút darúnder vnnd darjber, bach s?
braún.

135 An egg tart
Take twenty eggs and as much milk as eggs and
beat it well together. Let it cook together like
egg-milk, then stir sugar into it. Make a pastry
shell and roll it smooth. Then put rose water
therein and put it into a tart pan, put heat
under and over it, bake it until brown.

<<160>> Ain fladen zú machen
Nim ain ormilch, die woll aúßgesechnet sey, schlag wider
air darein vnnd weinberlen, schlags aúff den boden, lasß sittig
bachen.

160 To make flat cakes
Take egg-milk, which should be well strained,
beat fresh eggs therein and raisins, throw it in
a pastry crust and let it bake slowly.

<<177>> Ain tortta von epffel zú machen
Nempt epffel, schelts vnnd stosts ain ribeissen, darnach
rests jm schmaltz/ dan thiet daran soúil geriben kesß als epfel,
ain wenig gestossen negelen, ain wenig jmber vnnd zimerrerlach,
zway air, riert es woll dúrchainander, dan mach
den taig wie zú ainem fladen, thút ain knepflin schmaltz
darein, damit es sy nit anlaff, vnnd vnnden vnnd oben ain
wenig glút, lasß gemach bachen.