[Sca-cooks] fwd: [MR] BBC: Richard III's Diet and Drinking

Wanda pease wandap at hevanet.com
Mon Aug 18 17:16:22 PDT 2014

What was he supposed to drink?  Water?  would you drink untreated water from those wells?  Cholera anyone?  Milk, before pasteurization ?  Ale?  Beer not coming to England til hops.

A bottle equivalent in a Day?
 How much liquid do you drink in a day?  Count Coffee, Soda and tea.  Bet you drink more than a wine bottle's worth (as you noted wine came in barrels and was decanted into pitchers).

Add that the wine was possibly watered at various times of the day.  This doesn't come close to the Frat party boy chugging Chianti at a party, or Joe Sixpack.

Ate Swan and Goose!  Not really extravagant at a time when they were raised in numbers great enough to drive in large flocks across country (stores of the Little Goose Girl).

He didn't eat a peasant diet, but de doesn't seem to have gorged himself like a Georgian sybarite either.

Regina

Sent from my iPad